Can You Apply For Adjustment Of Status On A Tourist Visa?

The path to permanent residency in the United States is complex, involving procedural nuances. This is especially true when applying with a non-immigrant Visa. One common question people ask is, can you apply for adjustment of status as a Tourist Visa holder?

This question leads to the critical examination of the AOS process. This process allows an individual to apply for permanent residency without leaving the United States. Delve into the intricacies of adjusting your status. Explore viable paths and legal considerations and understand the indispensable guidance of immigration lawyers in this journey.

Immigration Lawyer Explains How To Apply For The Adjustment Of Status With A Tourist Visa In Austin,TX

What Is A Tourist Visa?

A Tourist Visa, typically called a B-1/B-2 Visa, is designed for individuals looking to visit the United States temporarily for leisure, tourism, or business. It target short stays and explicitly mandate that the holder plans not to abandon their residence in their home country. The conditions tied to these are stringent, reflecting the U.S. government’s efforts to prevent their use as a backdoor to immigration.

Is Adjustment Of Status Possible With A Tourist Visa?

Adjusting status from a Tourist Visa to permanent residency is possible. However, it involves navigating through legal complexities and strict immigration policies. This document is issued for short-term visits with no intention of permanent stay, challenging the adjustment process.

There are ways to apply for permanent residency through employment or marriage. Learn the essential steps, from finding a sponsoring employer to marrying a United States citizen or LPR. Delve into the key procedures and documents needed for a successful transition.

Tourist To Employment Visa

One of the viable pathways for individuals on a Tourist Visa seeking to adjust their status involves transitioning to an Employment Visa. This process begins with securing a U.S. employer willing to sponsor the individual. The sponsorship signifies the employer’s commitment to hiring foreign nationals. It initiates a formal application process to obtain a non-immigrant Work Visa, such as the H-1B.

The H-1B is particularly notable for its dual intent doctrine, which uniquely allows holders to pursue permanent residency while on a non-immigrant status. However, obtaining it requires the applicant to navigate a highly competitive selection process. This is primarily due to the annual cap on the number of Visas issued. 

Moreover, moving to an H-1B requires a change of status application. This application must show you meet all legal requirements. You must have maintained lawful status until applying. Also, your employer should pay the standard wage for the job.

Once on an H-1B or similar Employment Visa, the individual can apply for an AOS for permanent residency. This is possible if a Visa number is available for their category. They must also meet all other eligibility criteria. This process includes filing Form I-485, the application to register permanent residence or adjust status. Applicants must also navigate the requisite procedures, including background checks and interviews.

Tourist To Marriage Visa

AOS through marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident represents another pathway from a Tourist Visa to a Green Card. This process requires proving a bona fide marriage. The immediate relative category in the immigration law makes the adjustment process simpler for spouses of United States citizens. This is because there is no annual cap on Visas for immediate relatives.

The key to successfully adjusting status through marriage involves thorough documentation and proof of a legitimate marital relationship. Applicants must provide extensive evidence. It includes joint financial statements, photographs, and affidavits from family and friends attesting to the authenticity of the union.

Upon filing Form I-485 and the necessary supporting documents, the couple must attend an interview with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Here, they must demonstrate the legitimacy of their marriage. However, it is crucial to remember that entering the U.S. on a Tourist Visa solely to marry and adjust status can be considered fraud. This serious violation can lead to denial of the adjustment application, deportation, and future bars to entry into the United States.

Therefore, individuals entering as tourists who later decide to marry and adjust their status must be cautious. They should seek help from an experienced immigration attorney. This ensures they meet all the requirements and avoid any misrepresentation issues.

For employment and Marriage Visas, the AOS process demands precise attention to timing, eligibility, and potential consequences. The guidance of immigration lawyers is crucial for successfully navigating these complexities and achieving permanent residency.

How To Apply For Permanent Residency?

Embarking on the path to a Green Card is a journey filled with procedural steps, detailed documentation, and strict compliance with immigration laws. Whether an individual is aiming to adjust their status from a Tourist Visa or another non-immigrant status, understanding the process is crucial. Below, learn how to navigate the application for permanent residency, commonly known as the adjustment of status process.

Defining AOS

AOS is the procedure that allows an individual to become a lawful permanent resident. This option is available to individuals already in the United States under certain conditions, subject to eligibility criteria and visa availability.

The Process To Apply For Permanent Residency

This guide simplifies the journey to U.S. permanent residency, highlighting essential steps from checking eligibility to the final USCIS decision. It offers a straightforward roadmap for those transitioning through non-immigrant visas, family, or employment. Follow these steps to navigate the process and reach residency objectives.

Step 1: Determine Eligibility

Applicants must evaluate whether they meet the criteria for an AOS based on their current immigration situation. They need to understand the specific requirements and restrictions of their current status. Moreover, an individual must identify the category under which they can apply. Then, they can refer to the eligibility requirements for that category. This critical first step ensures applicants start their application process on a firm legal foundation.

Step 2: File Form I-485

The journey to permanent residency begins with completing and submitting Form I-485, the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This crucial document serves as the official request of an applicant to change their status to that of a lawful permanent resident. Accuracy and completeness are key, as omissions or errors can lead to delays or denials of an individual’s application.

Step 3: Submit Required Documentation

Compiling and submitting the correct documentation is critical to substantiate an individual’s eligibility for AOS. This involves several proofs. First, you must prove lawful entry into the United States. Next, show your current immigration status.

If relevant, provide evidence of a real marriage to a U. S. citizen or a valid job offer. These documents give the USCIS context and evidence to assess an individual’s application.

Step 4: Attend Biometrics Appointment & Interview

After applying, USCIS will schedule a biometrics appointment. At this appointment, they will take fingerprints and photographs. They use these for identification and background checks. Subsequently, an applicant must attend an interview at a USCIS office. Here, an officer will ask questions to verify the information on the application and assess their eligibility.

Step 5: Wait For A Decision

The last step in adjusting an individual’s status is to wait for USCIS’s decision. This varies greatly due to caseload, case complexity, and visa availability. Patience is crucial as the agency thoroughly evaluates the application to determine an individual’s eligibility for permanent residency.

Understanding the application process for a Green Card is just the beginning. Consulting an immigration lawyer can offer crucial support and clarity through the complex journey ahead.

Immigration Law Firm Assistance With The Process From A Tourist Visa To A Marriage Visa Through Adjustment Of Status

Seek The Help Of An Immigration Lawyer

Navigating immigration law requires professional guidance. Thus, the help of an experienced immigration lawyer is invaluable. This is true whether someone is adjusting status from a tourist visa or exploring other immigration pathways.

Lincoln-Goldfinch Law offers comprehensive services to help clients achieve their American dream. The firm has a team of dedicated attorneys known for personalized service and a deep understanding of immigration complexities. LGL ensures you can navigate the journey toward permanent residency with excellence, care, and legal proficiency.


Adjusting status from a tourist visa to permanent residency is an intricate process filled with legal nuances and strict eligibility criteria. While direct adjustment is fraught with challenges, pathways through employment or marriage offer viable alternatives.

The guidance of a skilled immigration lawyer is crucial. They evaluate options, ensure compliance with legal requirements, and maximize the chances of a successful status adjustment.

Embarking on the path to permanent residency is a significant step. With the right information and legal support, navigating the process can lead to a successful AOS, opening the doors to new opportunities and fulfilling your American dream.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351