What Is A Marriage Green Card?

A marriage Green Card, also known as a Spousal Visa, is a document that allows a foreign spouse of a United States citizen or permanent resident to live and work in the United States. It is a type of immigrant Visa that is specifically designed for spouses of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

To obtain a marriage Green Card, the foreign spouse must be legally married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The U.S. spouse must petition for their spouse to receive a Green Card by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. The foreign spouse will then need to complete and submit a Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa Electronic Application, as well as provide supporting documentation, such as proof of the legal marriage, proof of the U.S. spouse’s citizenship or permanent resident status, and evidence of any prior marriages.

Discover Legal Immigration Ways To Obtain Your U.S. Marriage Green Card And Regularize Your Immigration Status

If the foreign spouse is already in the United States, they may be able to apply for a Green Card through the process of “adjustment of status.” This allows them to apply for a Green Card without having to leave the United States. If the foreign spouse is outside of the United States, they will need to go through consular processing, which involves applying for a Visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.

Once the foreign spouse’s Green Card application has been approved, they will receive a conditional Green Card, which is valid for two years. After two years, the foreign spouse can apply to have the conditions removed and receive a permanent Green Card. This requires the couple to file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, together. The couple will need to provide evidence of their ongoing relationship, such as joint financial documents, photos, and any other relevant documentation.

It’s important to note that a marriage Green Card is not guaranteed. The U.S. government takes marriage fraud very seriously, so it’s important for the couple to provide documentation and evidence of their genuine relationship. If the government has reason to believe that the marriage is a sham, the Green Card application may be denied.

In addition to allowing the foreign spouse to live and work in the United States, a marriage Green Card also allows the spouse to travel in and out of the country, apply for a social security number, and apply for a driver’s license. It also allows the spouse to sponsor their own family members for Green Cards in the future.

Overall, a marriage Green Card is a valuable document that allows a foreign spouse to live and work in the United States with their U.S. spouse. It requires a lot of documentation and evidence, but it can be a rewarding process for couples who are committed to building a life together in the United States.

Check this other article or learn about us.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351