Is It Dangerous To Report A Crime As An Immigrant?

By Published On: February 10, 2023Categories: Vlog, Immigration

Reporting a crime to the police as an immigrant may sound daunting for some people. However, informing law enforcement of unlawful acts is crucial, especially if you are a victim. As an immigrant, it may even give you an advantage as something like a U Visa can empower you. It is a powerful tool designed to give voice to immigrant victims of crimes.

What is a U Visa, and how can you benefit from it? This article discusses the significance of the Visa, its impact on immigrant communities, and the support it provides to those who have experienced crime.

An Immigration Lawyer Will Provide You With Personalized Legal Advice For Your Crime Victim Case And Be Able To Adjust Your Immigration Status Legally And Securely

Understanding U Visa

The U Visa is specially created for individuals who have been victims of certain crimes. It is also for those who suffered physical or emotional harm. To qualify for the U Visa, one must have cooperated with law enforcement in the investigation of a qualifying crime.

Qualifying crimes include domestic violence, assault with a weapon, sexual assault, blackmail, sexual abuse, and similar activities. Immigration authorities have a list of specific crimes but also consider other similar activities that may qualify under the U Visa requirements.

One crucial aspect of obtaining the U Visa is the victim’s involvement in investigating the crime. Typically, when someone becomes a victim, they initiate the process by reporting the incident to the police. This involves engaging in a conversation with law enforcement officers. It also means providing details of the crime and officially documenting the incident by filing a report or complaint.

The police report is an essential document that initiates the U Visa process. When someone becomes a victim of a crime, it is important to report it to the police, file a complaint, and cooperate with law enforcement. This is evidence of the crime and the victim’s cooperation in the investigation.

Reporting crimes to the police is crucial for several reasons. Firstly, it helps create an official incident record, providing a foundation for legal proceedings. Secondly, it demonstrates the victim’s willingness to cooperate with law enforcement and aid in the investigation. Finally, making a report ensures that victims can access available support and services.

Additional Requirements

To apply for the U Visa, there are two essential requirements. Firstly, applicants must obtain a certification, a document confirming their victim status, and cooperation with law enforcement. They can get this certification from the police, prosecutor’s office, court, or judge. It essentially states that the individual has been a victim, assisted the prosecutor’s office, and cooperated with the police.

Secondly, applicants must provide evidence demonstrating the physical or emotional harm they have suffered due to the crime. This evidence can take various forms, such as personal statements, photographs, or other documentation substantiating the damage experienced. It is important to note that the harm can be both physical and emotional. Even if there are no visible physical injuries, emotional or psychological damage resulting from the crime can still be considered.

For instance, witnessing a loved one’s suffering or experiencing the fear and anxiety associated with the crime can cause significant emotional distress. In such cases, providing documentation that supports the emotional impact is necessary.

Applying for a U Visa with criminal or deportation records is possible due to the forgiveness provision of the U Visa program. As mentioned earlier, the U Visa forgiveness is relatively broad, allowing many immigrants with such records to still be eligible.

Applying For A U Visa With Criminal Or Deportation Records

The U Visa forgives many criminal records, previous deportations, and illegal entries. However, seeking legal advice and including relevant information in the pardon application is crucial. Honesty and thoroughness in the application process are essential to ensure a successful U Visa application.

Many immigrants fear contacting the police due to concerns about their legal status. However, reporting a crime does not put them in danger. Remember that victims have rights and protections, and law enforcement is there to help and investigate the situation. Various organizations and services assist victims of crimes, ensuring their safety throughout the process.

Some cases involve minors indirectly affected by a crime against their parents, such as domestic violence or assault. In such cases, their willingness to cooperate with law enforcement and their emotional harm can support their parents’ U Visa applications.

Each individual’s case is unique, making it essential to seek guidance from an immigration lawyer. Consulting with an experienced professional can help determine eligibility and explore the best options for assistance tailored to the specific circumstances.

Next Step After Receiving The Certification

The following steps are crucial once you receive the U Visa certification. The certification is a requirement for the U Visa application and should be prioritized. It is valid for six months, during which the applicant must gather the necessary documents and complete the comprehensive package, including the pardon if applicable.

After applying, there is a waiting period due to the limited number of U Visas granted each year. Under the Biden administration, a program allows eligible applicants with favorable applications but no available U Visas to obtain work permits while waiting. Staying informed and seeking legal guidance throughout the process is important for a successful U Visa application.

Advice For Individuals Who Are Not Ready To Report Crimes

For individuals not yet ready to report crimes, alternative options are available to seek assistance and support. It is important to prioritize personal safety and well-being above all else. One crucial piece of advice is to reach out to shelters or organizations that cater specifically to victims of crimes. That is, if reporting a crime feels overwhelming or unsafe at the moment.

Get Help From Shelters Or Private Organizations

These organizations have trained professionals who understand the complexities of these situations. They can provide valuable resources, support, and guidance. Additionally, they can help individuals explore their options, understand their rights, and create a safety plan tailored to their specific circumstances.

People in such situations must be aware of the various forms of assistance available. These include counseling services, legal aid, and access to emergency shelters. These resources can offer emotional support, legal advice, and a safe space for individuals to recover and plan their next steps.

Connect With Local Organizations & Support Groups

Get Legal Advice And Representation From An Experienced Immigration Lawyer If You Were A Victim Of A Crime In The U.S. And Are Undocumented

Connecting with local community organizations and support groups can provide a network of individuals who have gone through similar experiences. They can offer empathy, understanding, and practical advice, making individuals feel less isolated and more empowered.

Consult An Immigration Attorney

While reporting crimes is essential to seeking justice, recognize that everyone’s circumstances are unique. The decision to report should be made when the individual feels safe and ready. That’s why it is recommended to consult with an immigration attorney. They can provide guidance and help navigate the process when the individual is prepared.

Remember, personal safety should always be the priority. Resources are available to help individuals on their journey toward healing and justice. This can be achieved even if they are not yet ready to report crimes.

Consulting with an immigration lawyer is crucial to making informed decisions about the most suitable options for each individual’s situation. Moreover, a lawyer can help you determine whether your case is for VAWA or U Visa. 

Deciding Whether To Apply For U Visa Or VAWA

Victims of domestic violence faced with the decision between the U Visa and VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) should consider their specific circumstances and immigration status. The choice between the two options depends on the immigration status of the abusive spouse.

If the abusive spouse is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, VAWA may be a suitable option. It allows victims to self-petition for immigration benefits independently of their abusive spouse. It provides a pathway to lawful status and work authorization.

Suppose the abusive spouse does not have legal status. The U Visa could be a more appropriate choice. It is available to victims of certain qualifying crimes, including domestic violence. It offers temporary legal status to victims and allows them to work in the United States.

In making this decision, it is crucial to consult with immigration attorneys who focus on these matters. They can evaluate your circumstances, assess eligibility, and provide guidance on the most appropriate option based on the specific situation.

Understanding the differences between the U Visa and VAWA and seeking professional advice is crucial. They can ensure victims of domestic violence make informed decisions that best serve their interests and immigration needs.


When reporting crimes to the police, immigrant victims take a significant step toward seeking justice and protection. The U Visa offers a pathway to legal status and encourages victims to cooperate with law enforcement during investigations.

Understanding the requirements, qualifying crimes, and benefits empowers immigrants to make informed decisions and seek legal guidance throughout the application process. Remember, your safety and cooperation are paramount. Seek assistance from an immigration lawyer to receive available resources and support on this journey.

If you have additional questions about a crime, U Visa, or your specific case, you can contact us at (855) 502-0555. After a brief 10-minute evaluation of your case over the phone, we will let you know what options you have. You can also follow us on our social networks so you don’t miss our weekly broadcasts on FacebookYouTube, and Twitch.

About the Author: Kate Lincoln-Goldfinch

I am the managing partner of Lincoln-Goldfinch Law. Upon graduating from the University of Texas for college and law school, I received an Equal Justice Works Fellowship in 2008, completed at American Gateways. My project served the detained families seeking asylum. After my fellowship, I entered private immigration practice. My firm offers family-based immigration, such as greencards and naturalization, deportation defense, and humanitarian cases such as asylum, U Visa, and VAWA. Everyone at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law is bilingual, has a connection to our cause, and has demonstrated a history of activism for immigrants. To us, our work is not just a job. After the pandemic we began offering bankruptcy services in addition to immigration I realized how much lack of information there is in financial literacy resources in Spanish.

Share this story!

Contact a U.S. Immigration Attorney Today!

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco
    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351

    What Our Clients Say

    “This Lawfirm is great, very professional and helpful. I love that they are always in communication and always available for when you have questions . 100% recommended by me and my family. Thank you Lincoln-Goldfinch Law”