Crimes That Make You Deportable

Even if you’re a Green Card holder, you can still be presented with a deportation order if you have committed a deportable crime. Especially if you commit a crime within five years of becoming a legal US resident. If you’re unsure of which crimes can get you quickly deported from the United States, simply continue reading.

A Deportation Crimes Lawyer Will Be Able To Represent You In The Most Just Way Possible

What Crimes Make You Deportable?

Aggravated Felonies

If you commit a serious crime in the United States and do not hold full US citizenship, you may receive a deportation order. If a deportation order against you is upheld in an immigration court, you will be forcibly removed from the United States. There are several different types of crimes that are classed as aggravated felonies. Key examples of which include murder, rape, sexual abuse of a minor, and fraud. You can also receive a deportation order for involvement in drug trafficking or the illegal trafficking of firearms. If you find yourself convicted of any of these serious crimes it’s highly likely that you will be deported. Although, depending on your circumstances you may still be eligible to appeal your deportation order.

If you are guilty of committing theft, your conviction will only be classed as an aggravated felony which is cause for deportation if you were sentenced to serve 12 months or longer in prison. If you committed what was deemed as petty theft, you can not be deported for your crime. You can also receive a deportation order if you are caught running a business that profits from prostitution. Lastly, you can be deported for serious fraud. In terms of immigration law, serious fraud refers to conning a victim out of a sum of money that exceeds $10,000. So if you commit fraud which robs an individual of $1,000, you are unlikely to be deported for your crime.

Drug-Related Crimes

It’s important to note that in the United States, you can be deported for a minor drug offense. Regardless of whether you are caught manufacturing illegal drugs, transporting illegal drugs, or possessing drugs, in most cases, you will be given a deportation order. There is only one circumstance in which you may avoid a deportation order. If you are caught by law enforcement officers with 30 grams or less of marijuana, which you can prove is for your personal use, there is a chance that you will not be reported for your infraction. Especially if you don’t have any previous convictions.

Drug Addiction

If it’s proven that you are a drug addict you can also be legally deported, even if you are never charged with a drug-related conviction. For example, if you are a Green Card holder and check yourself into a drug rehabilitation facility, the government has the right to serve you with a deportation notice. Even if you’re no longer a drug addict, if it’s proven that you were addicted to drugs at some point, since you were admitted into the country, you can be served with a deportation notice.

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence in any form is not tolerated in the United States. In fact, if you are found guilty of one act of domestic violence against a partner or a child under your care, you will be given a deportation order.

One key difference between the legal interpretation of domestic violence in the United States and many other countries is that in the United States, an individual violating a restraining order is classed as domestic violence. So it’s important to take any restraining orders which may be filed against you seriously as failure to do so may result in your forced deportation. Each year many Green Card holders lose their residency status and are deported for failing to understand the serious nature of restraining orders in the United States. Remember that even a single breach of a restraining order can put an end to your American dream.

Crimes Of Moral Turpitude

Crimes that are deemed immoral or unethical are referred to as crimes of moral turpitude. If you are served with a deportation order for committing a crime of moral turpitude, the prosecution will try to convince your judge that you have committed an immoral, morally reprehensible crime that is worthy of deportation. Some common crimes that are frequently deemed as crimes of moral turpitude include arson, grievous bodily harm with the intent to murder, burglary, child abuse, receiving stolen property, knowingly violating a trespass notice, welfare fraud, voluntary manslaughter, and committing a hit and run.

Some crimes which are generally not classed as crimes of moral turpitude include involuntary manslaughter and driving under the influence if you are only convicted of a DUI on one occasion. If you receive a second DUI charge, you may receive a deportation notice. This is due to the fact that it’s deemed more morally reprehensible to knowingly commit the same criminal act a second time. Becoming a repeat offender shows that being convicted of a crime such as a DUI doesn’t bother you and does not inspire a change of behavior.

Does Incarceration Automatically Result In Deportation?

No, simply being incarcerated for a crime, will not result in instant deportation. However, if you are convicted of a crime and are ordered to spend 12 months or longer in prison, no matter what crime you have committed, the US government determines how suitable grounds to serve you with a deportation notice.


Unless you become a fully-fledged US citizen, you can be legally served with a deportation notice for numerous crimes which vary greatly in severity. You can be deported for receiving stolen property, selling drugs, fraud, rape, or domestic abuse. You can even be deported for being addicted to drugs even if you have not been convicted of a drug-associated crime. If you’re keen to appeal a deportation notice, your first move should be to contact an immigration lawyer who should be able to help you appeal your deportation notice. Just keep in mind that the less serious your conviction is, the more likely you’ll be allowed to remain in the United States.

Could You Be Deported If You Have A Child Born In The US?
Our Business Page

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351