Brush Square (O. Henry Museum)
Located in the heart of downtown Austin, Brush Square is a historic site of two museums that celebrate the history of Texas. These museums were once the homes of two of Austin’s prominent citizens: Joseph and Susanna Dickinson. A few years ago, the City of Austin decided to preserve both of these historical sites. As a result, these two museums were rebranded as Brush Square Museums. You can visit this amazing destination at 409 E 5th St., Austin, TX 78701.
The first of the two museums to open was the Joseph and Susanna Dickinson-Hannig House Museum. This home was built in 1869 for Joseph and Susanna Dickinson. The couple married in 1857 and prospered as furniture makers and real estate investors. After they divorced, Joseph chose to be buried next to his wife’s body.
The other museum in Brush Square is the O. Henry Museum. The building is a late 19th-century Queen Anne cottage and is furnished with Porter family artifacts. The museum contains original furnishings, manuscripts, diaries, and personal items. It is a small museum, but it is worth a visit for its historical significance.
The museum has an extensive collection of artifacts, including a large vocabulary and a unique writing style. The museum has recently received a grant from the BSM Foundation for the restoration of Porter’s dictionary. The museum also displays copies of county maps decorated with cowboy artwork. It features a replica of the house in which Porter wrote many of his most famous short stories. It offers tours of the house and hosts several events throughout the year.
One of the most popular stories to be set in Austin is “Bexar Scrip No. 2692.” The story is set in a fictional murder in the Land Office Building. The house is furnished with chairs that might have inspired the story. The museum is open to the public every day. It is free to enter and includes free admission.
The museum is open to the public Wednesday through Friday, from noon to 5 p.m. The museum also hosts poetry readings and word-play competitions. A picnic area is available. The museum hosts workshops on writing. There is also an annual O. Henry Pun-Off in May.
The O. Henry Museum is a small museum with a lot to offer. It includes original manuscripts, a piano, and a lot of personal belongings. The museum is a great place to learn about the life and work of O. Henry. You can read his famous short stories, such as “The Gift of the Magi,” at the museum.
The O. Henry Museum has been on the National Historic Register since 1974. In addition to displaying original furnishings, it also includes Porter’s correspondence, sheet music, and manuscripts. It is a great destination for fans of short stories. The museum is also host to the annual O. Henry Pun-Off. This is a free event held each spring.
Currently, the museum is undergoing a restoration that will include a new electrical conduit, structural reinforcement of the floor, and lead paint abatement. In addition, the museum will receive a new fire protection system and will have new lighting. It is expected to reopen in December.
Driving Directions To Lincoln-Goldfinch Law From Brush Square
Driving Directions From Brush Square To Texas Military Forces Museum