What Is A K-1 Visa?

You and your partner have finally decided to live together in the United States. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as getting on a flight with them. You will first need to enter the country lawfully with a K-1 Visa.

A K-1 Visa, also known as a Fiance Visa, is a nonimmigrant Visa issued by the United States government. It’s made for a foreign national engaged with a U.S. citizen. It allows them to enter the country and marry a citizen within 90 days after arrival. After the marriage, the foreign national can apply for a green card to become a permanent resident of the United States. Learn how to obtain one and how an immigration attorney assists in the process.

A K-1 Visa Can Help You Legalize Your Immigration Papers Within The U.S. If You Have A U.S. Citizen Fiancé

How To File For A K-1 Visa

The process of obtaining a K-1 Visa involves several steps. First, the U.S. citizen must file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the foreign national. The petition must include evidence of the relationship, such as photos, emails, and other documentation. They must also show that they have met the foreign national in person within the past two years or demonstrate that a waiver of this requirement is necessary.

Once the USCIS approves the petition, they forward it to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign national’s home country. The foreign national must then complete the Visa application process. It includes an interview at the embassy or consulate, submitting various documents, and undergoing a medical examination. If the Visa is granted, the foreign national can travel to the United States and get married within 90 days.

The Requirements For A Fiance Visa

There are a few requirements that applicants must meet to qualify for this type of Visa. The U.S. citizen and foreign national must be legally able to and genuinely intend to marry. The U.S. citizen must also be able to support the foreign national and meet certain income requirements financially.

The K-1 Visa is a single-entry Visa. It means the foreign national must use it to enter the United States within a specific time frame. Otherwise, they will need to apply for a new one. Once they enter the United States, they must marry their U.S. citizen partner within 90 days. If they don’t, they will be required to leave the country.

Can K-1 Visa Holders Get Green Cards?

After the marriage, they can apply for a Green Card to become a permanent resident. This process involves submitting an application to the USCIS and attending an interview at a local USCIS office. If the application is approved, they will receive a permanent resident card and can live and work in the United States indefinitely.

The K-1 Visa is only for the purpose of getting married to a U.S. citizen. It is not a work Visa. It means that foreign nationals are not allowed to work in the United States until they obtain a Green Card.

How An Immigration Attorney Helps

The process of filing for a K-1 Visa can be overwhelming. Thus, it is crucial to seek help from an immigration attorney to ensure you are taking the proper steps. The immigration lawyers at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law have years of experience dealing with Visa applications. They will examine your case and walk you through what you can do to get favorable results.


A K-1 Visa is issued to a foreign national engaged to a U.S. citizen. It allows them to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married to a U.S. citizen within 90 days. After the marriage, the foreign national can apply for a Green Card.

The process of obtaining a K-1 Visa involves several steps, including filing a petition with the USCIS and completing the Visa application process at a U.S. embassy or consulate. When in doubt, it’s best to talk to an immigration attorney. They can walk with you and help ensure you take the necessary steps to file the petition.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351