Types Of Green Card

If you’re serious about turning your dream of living and working in the United States into reality, there are several paths that you can take in order to apply for residency. To discover some of the types of Green Cards that are currently available, simply continue reading. Especially if you plan to apply for residency in the next few months.

Learn More About The Types Of Green Cards That Exist And Which You May Qualify For In The U.S.

Family Sponsored

If you have a close family member who is a U.S citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for a family sponsored Green Card. Just keep in mind that to be able to apply for a family sponsored Green Card you must apply from an immediate family member such as a sibling, parent, or spouse. Children of U.S residents can also apply for residency through a family sponsored application. Typically, you won’t have your application approved if your sponsor is an extended family member such as an aunt, uncle, or cousin.

If you were planning to have a grandparent who is a U.S citizen or permanent resident sponsor your application, you may be disappointed to learn that under current laws grandparents are unable to act as sponsors for their grandchildren. However, if your U.S-based grandparent sponsors your parents and your parents choose to become a permanent resident or citizen, they will be able to act as your sponsor in the future.

It’s well worth noting that while there is a limit of family sponsored applications that can be granted from each country. So if there is a high volume of applicants from the country in which you currently reside, you may have to wait longer for your application to be processed, than individuals from countries with fewer applicants.

Fiancé/Fiancée Sponsored

If you’re currently engaged to be married to a U.S citizen, you can apply for a fiance sponsored K1 Visa. However, be aware that to apply for a fiance sponsored Green Card you must get married to your fiance within 90 days of stepping foot in the United States. In order for your Green Card to be processed, you’ll need to go through a legal marriage ceremony and obtain a legal marriage certificate which you can submit as proof of your wedding to the Department of Homeland Security.

Also, keep in mind that before you enter the U.S on your K1 90-day Visa, you’ll need to prove that you’re in a committed long-term relationship and have met each other in person at least once, in the past two years. It’s a great idea to have photographs of yourself with your fiance and their family and friends as proof of the legitimacy of your romantic relationship. You may also want to provide letters of reference from individuals who know the two of you as a couple.

Spouse Sponsored

If you’re already married to a U.S citizen, you can apply for a spouse sponsored card instead. To apply, you’ll need to provide proof of your legal wedding ceremony to prove that your marriage is legitimate. Even if you are already married to a U.S citizen, beware that it may take between 9-36 months for your application to be processed. So it’s worth submitting your application at your earliest convenience.

Employer Sponsored

If you don’t have an immediate family member that is a U.S citizen or residence and are not engaged to or married to a U.S citizen, you may be able to move to the U.S using an employer sponsored Visa. As you may be able to apply for a job in the United States with a company that will agree to sponsor you as part of your contract.

Applicants who have received an offer of employment in a skilled position, are far more likely to have their application approved. Generally speaking, a skilled position is a job that requires at least two years of training or industry experience. As the government wants to fill skilled positions that may be difficult for businesses to fill. As some industries such as the healthcare industry have a shortage of skilled employees to fill a large number of positions. Some of the industries with plenty of opportunities for employer sponsored Visas include the science industry, the education sector, and the business industry.

Furthermore, your chances of having your application approved will increase if you hold a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of relevant job experience. Your chances of success are even higher if you hold a master’s degree.

If you opt to try and obtain an employer sponsored Visa, it’s worth applying for positions with businesses that are known for having a program that offers employer sponsored Visas.

Alternatively, if you plan on investing at least $1 million dollars in U.S businesses, you may also be eligible for an employer sponsored Green Card.

Long Term Resident

Non-U.S citizens who have resided in the United States since 1972 may apply for a long-term resident Green Card. Regardless of whether they have been residing in the United States legally or illegally.

Humanitarian Green Cards

Individuals who have lived in the United States for at least a year and who are classed as a refugee or asylum seeker may apply for a humanitarian Visa.

Diversity Lottery

In the past, the U.S Government offered a diversity lottery that would allow individuals around the world an opportunity to apply for a Green Card, at no cost. Each year a set number of applicants would be chosen from each eligible country to become permanent residents in the United States. In the future, it’s likely that a new diversity lottery will be created.

In Conclusion

If you’re serious about moving to the United States, it’s a wise idea to apply for residency through one of the Visas which are listed above as soon as possible. As each year countless applications for Green Cards are processed and so if you want your Visa to be approved in a timely manner, it’s well worth gathering the documents which you require to submit your application, as soon as possible.

Also Check
About Us

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351