Recommendations For When Green Card Application Is Pending With USCIS

If you are keen to live and work in the United States as a permanent resident and you have submitted your online or postal application with the USCIS, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may be wondering what to do while your application is still processing. To discover a list of helpful recommendations, simply continue

Recommendations For When Green Card Application Is Pending With USCIS

Keep Track Of The Current Status Of Your Application Online

You may not be aware that if you have an online account with the USCIS, you’ll be able to check the current status of your Visa petition online. Just head to the Case Status Online portal and use your I-485 form number in order to quickly check the latest status of your application.

Alternatively, if you submitted your application via the post or would prefer to speak with a USCIS agent on the phone, you can also contact the USCIS Contact Center on 800-375-5283.

Your Green Card Immigration Process With The USCIS Agency Pending Requires Legal Counseling

Submit A Case Inquiry Submit A Case Enquiry If There Has Been An Unreasonable Delay With The Application

While in most cases, your best option is just to wait, if it’s taking longer than you expected for the USCIS to process your petition if you believe your application has taken longer to process than the USCIS’ normal processing times you can take action. In this scenario, simply log onto your online USCIS portal in order to submit a case enquiry. However, do keep in mind that while the USCIS makes every endeavor to process applications in a timely manner, there are often unavoidable backlogs that can slow down the processing time of your Visa application.

Do Not Leave The United States If Currently Based In The Country

If you are located overseas, this recommendation doesn’t apply to your situation. However, if you are currently located in the United States and submitted your online or postal application while in the United States, it’s in your best interest to remain in the country. This is due to the fact that if you opt to leave the country without a parole document, the USCIS will mark your application as being abandoned.

If you must travel outside of the United States while you’re waiting for your Green Card application to be processed and sent to your nearest US embassy or consulate, fill out an I-313 form as soon as possible. An I-313 form is the USCIS’ application for travel document. If your I-313 request for a travel document is approved in time, you will be able to temporarily leave the United States, without having your residency application declined.

Notify The USCIS If Home Address Changes While Your Application Is Being Processed

It’s your responsibility to notify the USCIS within 14 days of shifting to a new property. If you don’t notify the USCIS of an address change, you may not receive important updates about your application. Such as important correspondence when the USCIS finally transfers your case to your nearest US consulate or embassy. Even if you are located in the United States and change your address with the U.S. Postal Service, this information will not be relayed to the USCIS.

Prepare For Mandatory Biometric Services Appointment

After submitting your petition, you’ll be contacted in order to schedule a compulsory biometric services appointment. On the date of your appointment, you’ll need to turn up at your local Application Support Center where your fingerprints and photographs will be promptly taken. You’ll also be required to provide your digital signature during your biometric services appointment. By providing your digital signature you are confirming that all the information which you provided on your online application and the evidence which you uploaded, was factual.

Remember to turn up to your appointment on time with your ASC appointment notice and a valid form of photo identification such as your passport or driver’s license.

Pay For Biometric Services Appointment

Lastly, keep in mind that there is a fee which you’ll need to pay for your biometric services appointment. As many applicants are unaware that there are two fees associated with applying for a Green Card, a standard application fee, and a biometric services fee.

Gather Any Additional Evidence That Might Support Your Application

If you’re curious about the next step, once the USCIS has processed your application, if the USCIS deems that you are eligible to apply for permanent residency, they will transfer your case to your nearest US consulate or embassy. At which point in time, you’ll be given a new case number. If your local consulate or embassy is satisfied with the information which you provided in your initial application, they will contact you for an in-person interview. Which is the last step in the process. If your interview goes well, you’ll have your application officially approved and you’ll be able to start planning your upcoming move to the United States.

However, keep in mind that it’s possible that your assigned consulate or embassy may get you to clarify certain pieces of information in your application or may ask you to submit further evidence to support your case. For example, if you apply for a K1 Fiance Visa or a Marriage Visa, your embassy or consulate may require further proof that you’re in a legitimate, long-term relationship. To prepare for this, it’s well worth thinking again and asking for letters of reference from individuals who know both you and your fiance or spouse well and can attest to the legitimacy of your relationship.

As another example, if you apply for a Green Card through an employer sponsored Visa, you may need to provide transcripts from your college as well as copies of all of your significant qualifications. To prove that you have the right training for the job position which you plan to fill.

In Conclusion

So if you’re currently waiting for the USCIS to process your Green Card application, hopefully, you now have a clear idea of what to expect in the coming months and how to track the status of your application.

Read next page
More Info

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351