Green Card Replacement

If you have misplaced your green card or are concerned that it’s about to expire within the next six months, it’s important to apply for a replacement card, as soon as possible. To discover the process which you’ll need to go through in order to receive your new green card replacement, simply continue reading.

Replacing Your Green Card

Key reasons why you may require a new permanent resident card:

The Information On Your Card Is Incorrect

If you receive your visa and any of the information which is printed on it is incorrect, it’s mandatory to order a green card replacement. Please note that if the information on your card is incorrect due to an error by Homeland Security, you will not be charged an application fee. However, if you have legally changed your name or moved to a new address, you will be expected to pay for your card to be replaced.

Your Green Card Is Due To Expire

How To Apply For A Green Card ReplacementUnfortunately, you will need to order a new card when your current card is due to expire. Regardless of whether your card will expire in the next six months or your card has already expired, you’ll pay the same application fee.

Generally speaking, most cards currently expire 10 years after they are issued. However, if you have been granted conditional permanent residency, you’ll need to apply for a replacement card every 2 years. Unless you submit a petition to have the conditions of your residency removed.

You Have Misplaced Your Card

One of the conditions of being a permanent resident in the United States is that you’re required to replace your residency card as soon as you realize that it’s missing.

Your Card Has Been Damaged

If your card has been badly damaged, you’ll also need to replace it as soon as possible.

How To Replace Your Card Online

The easiest way to request a new green card replacement is to fill out an I-90 application form online, which is the official application to replace your permanent resident card. You can even fill out your application form on a smartphone, as well as on a PC, laptop, or tablet.

To get started, you’ll need to register for a USCIS online account. Make sure not to share your account information with anyone else as it’s highly sensitive information. Once you have verified your account, select myUSCIS and click on the link “I am an applicant, petitioner”, to find the online form which you’ll need to fill out in full. You can also upload digital files such as a copy of your old card, to your application.

The Advantages Of Filling Out Your Application Form Online

If you fill out your application online, you’ll be able to check the status of your submission after 72 hours. You’ll also be provided with regular updates on your application and you’ll be notified when your application is being reviewed. Lastly, you’ll be able to communicate directly with the assessors who process your submission, which is incredibly convenient.

How To Replace Your Card Through The Email

Austin Immigration Attorney Green Card Application

Obtain Legal Advice With An Austin Immigration Attorney

If for some reason you would prefer to replace your card through the mail, print out an I-90 form and make sure to read the online instruction form on submitting your application through the post. However, if you are a conditional resident, you’ll need to fill out an I-751 form or an I-829 form.

If you are looking to remove the conditions of your visa which you obtained as the spouse of a US citizen or resident, fill out an I-751 form. However, if you’re looking to remove the conditions of your visa which you obtained through investing in a US business, ensure to fill out an I-829 petition instead.

Receive Email And Text-based Notifications Once Your Application Is Approved

If you choose to post your application, if you’re interested in carefully monitoring the status of your application, it’s possible to opt in to email and text-based notifications. Even if you opt-out of submitting your application online. Simply print out and fill out a G-1145 form and use a paper clip to attach it to the front page of your application.

Evidence That Should Be Submitted Along With The Application

If you have a photo or copy of your green card, it’s a wise idea to include it with your submission, to fast track your application. Alternatively, if you misplaced your card and failed to take a photo of it or a copy of it before you misplaced it, you can submit a copy of a government-issued form of identification. Just keep in mind that your chosen form of identification should clearly show your full name, your date of birth, a photo of yourself, and your signature. Key pieces of information, which will be checked against the information which you provide in your application.

How To Pay The Fees Associated With Your Application

The easiest way to pay for your fees is by credit card. If you choose to replace or renew your visa online, you’ll be able to instantly pay your application fee. However, if you opt to replace or renew your card through the post, you also have the option of paying your fees using a money order, cashier’s check, or money order. There are two distinct fees that you’ll need to pay for, your application fee and your biometric services fee.

What To Do If Your Card Expired Over 12 Months Ago

If your green card expired over 12 months ago, you’ll need to provide sufficient evidence that you are a lawful permanent resident and have a right to live and work in the United States. For this reason, it’s a wise idea to file an application for a new card, six months before your card is due to expire.

In Conclusion

No matter whether your visa is about to expire, you’ve noticed that there is incorrect information on your card or you’ve misplaced your card, if you require a new green card, simply follow the process which is outlined above in order to receive a new card in the mail.

See This

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351