Utilize Form I-130 Document To Petition For Your Spouse

Are you a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident looking to bring your foreign spouse to the United States? You’ve come to the right place. Here, you will learn the complexities of Form I-130, or Petition for Alien Relatives. See the importance of this immigration document to reunite with your loved ones. 

Additionally, you will learn why it is advisable to work with an immigration lawyer when navigating the form. They can guide you on the requirements and the petition process for your spouse.

Explore More Details Regarding The Submission Of An I-130 Form For Your Spouse

Petition For Your Spouse With Form I-130

Form I-130 is a crucial document U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents use to petition for their foreign-born spouse’s immigration to the country. This form establishes the familial relationship and formally requests the immigration authorities to recognize and approve the union. Filing it is the initial step in obtaining a Green Card for your loved ones or spouse.

As a petitioner, you must be legally married to your foreign-born husband or wife. Completing this document involves providing detailed information about you and your beneficiary, in this case, your spouse. It includes biographical details, addresses, and evidence of the bona fide nature of the relationship.

Alongside the form, petitioners must submit supporting documentation, such as marriage certificates, to substantiate the validity of the marital relationship. Once the USCIS approves the petition, the case is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing, eventually leading to the scheduling of a consular interview.

Documents To Submit For Spousal Petition

While submitting the requisite legal document marks the initial phase of your spouse’s immigration process, it should not be misconstrued as a signal for complacency. Seeking guidance and remaining informed throughout the subsequent stages is essential.

For instance, filing the form needs supporting documentation. You must be mindful of these requirements as these will be the basis of the immigration authorities to confirm your familial connection. The documents you need to show are as follows.

  • Valid marriage certificate: This document strengthens the case for sponsoring a spouse’s Green Card. It serves as proof of the existence of the marital relationship.
  • Photographs of you and your spouse as a couple: These visual representations capture shared experiences and milestones. It provides tangible evidence of your relationship.
  • Financial documentation: Joint financial responsibilities can be documented to solidify the credibility of the marriage. Including statements from joint bank accounts or documents related to shared financial obligations demonstrates the couple’s mutual commitment and interdependence.
  • Children’s birth certificates: These documents showcase the tangible outcome of the marital relationship and further support the petition’s legitimacy.
  • Passport-style photos: Provide two recent passport-style color photos of yourself and two of your spouse, all taken within 30 days of submitting the petition. The beneficiary is exempt from this requirement if residing outside the United States.
  • Proof of status: If you are a U.S. citizen, include a photocopy of your birth certificate (if born in the United States), U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, or consular report of birth abroad. For lawful permanent residents, submit a photocopy of both sides of your Green Card or any other documentation confirming your permanent residence status.

Understanding the required documents for this petition will boost your confidence in staying on top of the process and meeting all requirements. The more confident you are, the smoother the filing will be. To further streamline the procedure, consider exploring concurrent filing.

Concurrent Filing Streamlines The Process

Concurrent filing of Form I-485 and Form I-130 streamlines the immigration process for those seeking permanent residency in the United States through family sponsorship. Form I-485, the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is the key form for individuals who are already in the United States and eligible to apply for a Green Card.

Uncover Additional Insights About Filing An I-130 Document For Your Spouse

This concurrent filing process offers several advantages. First, it accelerates the overall timeline for obtaining a Green Card by eliminating the need for separate and sequential submissions. Moreover, simultaneously submitting the forms enhances efficiency as it ensures that both the petition and the adjustment of the status application are considered together. Doing so facilitates a more cohesive and integrated review by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

However, it’s crucial for applicants to carefully review the eligibility criteria and requirements for concurrent filing before embarking on this route. While it can be a time-saving strategy, any oversight or error in the documentation can lead to delays or potential issues in the immigration process.

Therefore, seeking guidance from immigration lawyers is advisable to navigate the intricacies of concurrent filing. With their guidance, you can ensure a seamless and successful application process.

An Immigration Lawyer Helps Simplify The Process

Consulting an immigration lawyer for Form I-130 is crucial. Their skills enhance your success potential by providing valuable guidance and leveraging them in navigating the complexities of the immigration process.

Navigate The Complex Immigration Laws

Immigration laws are constantly changing. Seeking help from an experienced attorney can provide you with valuable insights and guidance. They are well-versed in the system’s intricacies and can assist you with the requirements and procedures in filing a petition for your relative.

Ensure Accuracy & Completeness Of Documents

Accuracy and completeness are crucial when completing Form I-130. Any errors or missing information can result to delays, requests for additional evidence, or even denial of the petition. Hiring a lawyer for immigration can help prepare the necessary documents. They can also review your application, ensuring all required fields are correctly completed.

Address Unique Circumstances

Immigration cases are diverse, often with unique circumstances requiring extra attention. An immigration attorney adeptly navigates complexities, ensuring a robust case presentation. They assess your case strength, advise on potential issues, and offer strategies for overcoming them.

You can present a compelling petition with their assistance, enhancing approval chances. However, it’s crucial to establish clear expectations for the subsequent steps, even with legal support.

Once you’ve submitted the necessary legal documents to petition your spouse, the waiting period for approval becomes a critical phase. Coping with the separation from your loved ones adds another layer of difficulty. In the meantime, consider exploring alternative approaches to bring your spouse to the United States while the petition is under review.

Bring Your Spouse To America While The Petition Is Pending

A U.S. citizen’s spouse can apply for a nonimmigrant K-3 Visa after submission of Form I-130. This Visa allows them to come to the United States, reside, and work while the petition awaits approval.

To initiate this process, you may submit Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). It’s important to note that filing this document is optional. Your spouse can choose to wait abroad for immigrant Visa processing. However, applying for a K-3 Visa provides an alternative avenue for them to enter the United States.

Suppose you are a permanent resident who filed Form I-130 for your spouse on or before December 21, 2000. In that case, they may qualify for the V Visa classification if more than three years have elapsed since the I-130 submission.

This waiting period applies when an Immigrant Visa is unavailable based on the approved Form I-130 petition. It is also applicable when the application to adjust status or the petition for an immigrant Visa is pending. The V Visa offers a potential avenue for reunification during this waiting period, providing a temporary solution for family members seeking entry to the United States.

Residing permanently with your spouse in the United States is a source of significant comfort, especially when navigating the complexities of immigration. Securing this permanent status requires a skilled lawyer who can collaborate with you to develop effective strategies to achieve your goals.

The immigration attorneys at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law are well-equipped to guide you through the entire process. You can depend on them from the initial step of filing Form I-130 and continuing through the journey of bringing your spouse home. Rely on their skills and knowledge to provide valuable insights on the necessary steps. They are committed to helping you avoid pitfalls and navigate potential hassles that may arise during the immigration process.


Navigating the complexities of bringing a foreign spouse to the United States involves understanding Form I-130 and the importance of seeking legal guidance. The process begins with filing Form I-130, a vital document for U.S. citizens or permanent residents petitioning for their spouse’s immigration. To streamline the process, concurrent filing of Form I-485 and Form I-130 is an option, accelerating the Green Card timeline.

However, applicants must carefully meet eligibility criteria for concurrent filing to avoid delays.

Immigration lawyers are crucial in simplifying the process, ensuring document accuracy and completeness, and addressing unique circumstances. As the waiting period for petition approval begins, U.S. citizens can explore the K-3 Visa option for their spouse. At the same time, permanent residents may consider the V Visa classification if filing before December 21, 2000. The goal is to provide temporary solutions for family reunification during the immigration process.

Discover Our Comprehensive Immigration Solutions.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351