Form I-130: Filing A Green Card Petition For Your Child

It is a profound and meaningful endeavor to have your family reunite with you in the United States, particularly your children. You can make that happen by petitioning for them through filing the form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This powerful document provides a pathway leading to a brighter future and many benefits.

Here, you will learn more about this immigration document and what the process of this petition entails. Moreover, see the valuable assistance that a Green Card lawyer can offer.

Learn More About Filing An I-130 Form To Give Your Child A Green Card In The U.S.

Navigate Form I-130 To Petition For Your Children

Embarking on the immigration journey to reunite with your children in the United States involves a crucial first step: navigating Form I-130. This form is the cornerstone for petitioning for your children and initiating the process for obtaining a Green Card.

As you delve into the intricacies of the form, it’s essential to understand the significance of this document in establishing family unity. This involves learning the eligibility requirements and dealing with completing and submitting them.

As a U.S. Citizen, you can petition for various categories: 

  • Children (unmarried and under 21).
  • An unmarried child (21 or over) – allowing the inclusion of their child(ren) on the petition.
  • Married sons and daughters (any age) – where your son or daughter’s spouse and/or child(ren) can also be included.

For lawful permanent residents, the options include unmarried children under 21. As an LPR, you may also petition for your unmarried daughters and sons, 21 or over.

The process of helping your children obtain permanent residency may seem intimidating. However, you can deal with it confidently when you back it up with proper documents.

Required Documentation

When you complete the Petition for Alien Relative form, you must file it with the required documents. They involve evidence of your U.S. citizenship. You can provide any copy of the following:

  • Your U.S. birth certificate.
  • Your unexpired U.S. passport.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad. 
  • Naturalization certificate. 
  • Certificate of citizenship.

On the other hand, as a permanent resident, you must provide proof of your status. You may submit a copy of your Green Card, front and back. A copy of your foreign passport displaying a stamp indicating temporary evidence of permanent residence is acceptable, too.

If there has been a legal name change for either yourself or your child, you must provide supporting documentation as proof. This may include a marriage certificate, adoption decree, divorce decree, court judgment of name change, or any relevant legal documentation.

Furthermore, you need to provide proof of the relationship. This document may depend on your actual connection with your child. It depends upon the situation that you have with them.

For Step-Parents

If you are a step-parent seeking to petition for your child, the required documentation includes providing a copy of your step-child’s birth certificate issued by civil authorities. Additionally, you must submit a copy of your civil marriage certificate to your step-child’s legal parent.

To complete the submission, proof of the legal termination of all previous marriages for yourself and the child’s parent is necessary. This proof may be a divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment decree. These documents ensure that all relevant legal terminations are appropriately documented for immigration purposes.

For Adoptive Parents

As an adoptive parent, you must provide a comprehensive set of documents to support your immigration petition. This includes a copy of the child’s original birth certificate and the final adoption decree. Additionally, you are required to furnish evidence indicating that you held two years of legal custody. It is a status that a court grants before the finalization of the adoption.

The proof of two-year custody of your child shows that they lived with you and you exercised primary parental control. These documents ensure that you meet the criteria for immigration based on adoption. Providing these papers offers a thorough representation of the legal and custodial aspects essential for successfully processing your petition.

Understanding the required documents for the petition is crucial, but familiarity with the associated process is equally important. The filing process is contingent upon your specific circumstances and your child’s. Just as the necessary documentation varies, the procedural steps can differ based on individual situations.

Petition For Your Children To Obtain A Green Card

Gaining permanent residency unlocks doors to opportunities, education, healthcare, and stability. As a parent, you naturally desire these advantages for your children. However, obtaining a Green Card is crucial before they can fully access these perks. Therefore, being well-informed about the process is beneficial, recognizing that its details may vary depending on your children’s unique situations.

Discover Further Information On Submitting An I-130 Form For Your Child's U.S. Green Card

If Your Child Is Already In The United States

Embarking on petitioning for your child already in the United States entails navigating a distinctive set of considerations and procedures. Whether your child is temporarily residing in the country or has already established a presence, the immigration journey involves different complexities.

You’re A U.S. Citizen, & Your Child Is Married & Under 21

As a U.S. citizen petitioning for your child in the United States, you can simultaneously file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This streamlined process allows your child to initiate the application for permanent residence concurrently with your submission of Form I-130.

You’re A U.S. Citizen, & Your Married Son Or Daughter Is Aged 21 & Over

If you’re a U.S. citizen petitioning for your married son or daughter aged 21 and over, the process involves filing Form I-130. Once a Visa becomes available, they can initiate the next step by filing Form I-485. The Visa Bulletin and Green Card pages provide essential information on Visa availability and guide the timeline for filing Form I-485.

You’re An LPR Petitioning For Your Child, Son, Or Daughter

As a lawful permanent resident petitioning for your child—whether a son or daughter—the initial step involves filing Form I-130. Once a Visa becomes available, your child can advance by submitting Form I-485.

If Your Child Is Not In The United States

When your child resides outside the United States, the steps involve filing Form I-130. Once the petition receives approval and a Visa becomes available, it proceeds to consular processing.

During this stage, the U.S. Embassy or consulate overseeing the area where your child resides will provide notification and pertinent processing details. This crucial step in the immigration process ensures that your child can progress toward obtaining the necessary Visa and eventually joining you in the United States.

With all these complexities, seeking assistance from an immigration attorney is crucial. In Texas, you can look for Lincoln-Goldfinch Law to guide you.

Hire An Immigration Lawyer To Help You

Seeking the assistance of an experienced lawyer when filing for I-130 can make the process more efficient. Lawyers at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law know the legal requirements and procedures for filing the petition. They can help you navigate the complexities of filing the form and dealing with the process.

Understand Eligibility

An immigration lawyer helps determine if you meet the eligibility criteria for petitioning for your children. They can analyze factors such as your immigration status, relationship with the child, and other relevant circumstances. A skilled attorney for immigration can help you determine the right path based on your and your child’s eligibility.

Document Preparation

An experienced lawyer can assist you in gathering and preparing the necessary documents to support your petition. It may include proof of your U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. They can also help you provide evidence of the parent-child relationship and any additional supporting documentation the USCIS requires.

Filing & Submission

Once you complete the form, a lawyer for immigration can handle the proper filing and submission of your petition to the USCIS. They can ensure you pay all required fees and submit the form within the designated timeframe. This helps with the timely submission of your application, which can shorten the waiting period.

Enlisting the knowledge and skills of a seasoned attorney, such as those at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law, is invaluable when navigating the I-130 petition process. Their understanding of legal requirements and procedural nuances enhances the efficiency of the process. They help provide you with the support needed to petition for your children’s immigration successfully.


Navigating the intricacies of petitioning for your children’s immigration involves thoroughly understanding eligibility criteria, documentation requirements, and procedural nuances. Whether your child is already in the United States or residing abroad, the process demands careful consideration.

Seeking legal assistance from experienced attorneys proves invaluable. From determining eligibility to meticulously preparing documents and ensuring timely submission, a knowledgeable immigration lawyer streamlines the complexities. Doing so provides a smoother and more efficient journey toward living in the United States along with your children.

Find Detailed Information On Our Immigration Services.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351