How Can Asylees & Refugees Apply For Adjustment Of Status?

The path to U.S. permanent residency can seem daunting for those who have been granted asylum or refugee status in the United States. However, it is possible to navigate the process and successfully apply for adjustment of status with patience and preparation.
This blog will discuss the adjustment of the status application process in detail, including what forms are required and how to submit them. In addition, it will also provide information on where you can go for help if you have questions about your adjustment of status application.
Discover Everything You Need To Start Your Adjustment Of Immigration Status And Get Your Green Card As Soon As Possible

Can Asylees & Refugees Obtain A Green Card?

The United States is a country that welcomes refugees and asylees from all around the world. Persecution, war, or natural calamities force refugees to leave their homes. Persecution may be based on nationality, religion, race, social group memberships, or political opinion.
Asylees are those seeking or being given political asylum. Asylees and refugees are given temporary protection when they enter the United States. Often, it is too dangerous for them to return to their country, and thus, they seek to find ways for their stays to become permanent.  But to become permanent residents, they must request for adjustment of status.
Asylees and refugees in the United States can obtain permanent resident status, commonly called a Green Card. To do so, you must submit an adjustment of status application. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will review the application. If approved, it will grant you permanent residency or a Green Card. The adjustment of status process is lengthy, but with patience and preparation, you can successfully apply and receive permanent status.

Eligibility Requirements For Asylees & Refugees

To apply for adjustment of status in Austin, Texas, both asylees and refugees must meet specific criteria. These requirements are similar to other states as well.

For Asylees

The adjustment of status is permissible if they have been physically present in the United States for at least one year since their grant of asylum. Also, they must meet other requirements determined by USCIS. The filing of the adjustment application must be within two years of the asylee being granted asylum status unless life-changing circumstances delay filings, such as an illness or a financial hardship.

For Refugees

Adjustment of status is permissible if refugees have been physically present in the United States for at least one year since their entry and meet other requirements determined by USCIS. Refugees must also show that they were admitted to the country based on refugee status within two years of filing the adjustment application.
In all cases, adjustment of status applicants must demonstrate that they have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence as refugees or asylees. Also, they must show that they are admissible to the United States, not barred by any provisions of immigration law and that they have not abandoned their asylum or refugee status. Finally, they must also provide proof of financial support during their adjustment process.
Once an individual’s eligibility for adjustment of status in Austin, Texas,  has been determined by the USCIS, they will be required to complete associated paperwork and attend an interview to provide additional evidence related to their adjustment case. Following completing these steps, a decision on the adjustment application may be issued promptly.

Steps In Applying For Adjustment Of Status

Several steps are involved if you are an asylee or refugee in Austin, Texas, and wish to apply for adjustment of status. Following these steps is vital to be granted adjustment of status from refugee to permanent resident.

Meet The Eligibility Requirements

The first step is to meet all eligibility requirements for adjustment of status. It includes having a valid asylum application on file with USCIS and being physically present in the United States for at least one year since being granted asylum.

Complete Necessary Forms

After ensuring you meet all eligibility requirements, completing the necessary forms is next. These include Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. The I-485 requires information about your background history, family members, travel history, and criminal record (if applicable). The I-765 requires personal biographical data, including name and Social Security Number. These forms are available at the USCIS office in Austin, Texas.

Pay All Applicable Fees

The final step in applying for adjustment of status is paying the necessary fees. This includes a $1,225 filing fee (as of 2022) for an adjustment of status application and any additional cost associated with processing the form(s), such as biometrics fees.

Gather Documentation & Submit The Forms

Before submitting the adjustment of status forms to USCIS, ensure you have gathered all necessary documentation.

  • Proof of identity.
  • Lawful entry into the United States.
  • Evidence that your asylum application was granted.
  • Travel documents, and other required items.

Once you have compiled all the necessary paperwork and paid the applicable fees, submit your adjustment of status applications to USCIS.
After completing these steps, you will likely need to attend an adjustment of status interview for USCIS to review your case. Following a successful interview process, your adjustment of status application should be approved by USCIS in due course.

Benefits Of Adjusting Your Status As An Asylee Or Refugee

Adjusting your status as an asylee or refugee to permanent residency or U.S. citizenship can provide many advantages you may not get otherwise. Here are a few main benefits you should consider when deciding if an adjustment of status is right for you.

Access To Employment & Education Opportunities

As an asylee or refugee, adjusting your status provides more opportunities in terms of education and employment. For example, immigrants granted permanent resident status may apply for jobs with government organizations. They can also receive in-state tuition rates at public universities in Austin, Texas, which can make further education more affordable.

An Easier Path Towards Citizenship

Adjusting your status makes it easier to become a U.S. citizen. While it can take up to five years after adjustment of status, you may be able to expedite the process if your spouse is a U.S. citizen. Furthermore, having permanent residency can make it easier for your spouse or family members to gain U.S. citizenship.

Increased Financial Opportunities & Benefits

If you get permanent status, you may have access to certain benefits, such as more competitive job offers and tax credits. These benefits are not available to non-permanent-status immigrants. Additionally, adjusting your status opens up other financial assistance, such as grants and scholarships. Finally, once you become a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for certain social security benefits, such as disability or retirement.
Overall, adjusting status is a great way to expand your opportunities and increase your chance of becoming a U.S. citizen. If you’re considering the adjustment of status in Austin, Texas, it’s essential to research the advantages and disadvantages and hire an immigration attorney before making a decision. Doing so can help ensure that adjusting your status is your best option.
An Adjustment Of Status Will Provide You With Immigration Benefits That Can Help You Find Employment, A Home And Security In The U.S.

The Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act

The Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act or The CRAA is a U.S. law enacted in 1966.  This law allows Cuban refugees to obtain an adjustment of status if they have been in the U.S. for at least one year. They must also be physically present in Austin, Texas, or other points determined by the Attorney General.
The CRAA was enacted in response to the increasing number of Cubans seeking asylum in America. This law also provides them with an adjustment of status, enabling them to apply for naturalization or U.S. citizenship eventually.
The adjustment of status allows Cuban refugees to adjust their immigration status from non-legal resident alien to legal permanent resident (LPR). Once granted legal residency, Cuban refugees may be eligible for work authorization, access social benefits, and receive permission to travel outside of the United States. Cuban refugees must prove that they have lived in Austin, Texas, for at least one year before the adjustment of status application date.
The Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act provides a valuable tool for Cuban refugees to obtain adjustment of status and pursue a path toward legal permanent residency in the United States. This immigration act can give them access to many opportunities that would have been otherwise unavailable had they not obtained an adjustment of status.

Let Lincoln-Goldfinch Law Represent You

The adjustment of status applications for asylees and refugees can be complex. Filing the wrong documents or making mistakes in the adjustment of status can result in rejection or even deportation. Lincoln-Goldfinch Law is experienced and skilled with the adjustment of status applications and can help refugees and asylees secure the adjustment of status. Contact them today for a free consultation.
By understanding the adjustment process and enlisting the help of an immigration attorney from Lincoln-Goldfinch Law, refugees can take advantage of the opportunities to obtain permanent residency status in the United States. This will enable them to pursue freedom and equality and have a better life in America. Don’t wait, contact them now for assistance with the adjustment of status applications.

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351