Types Of Visa Available In The U.S

Whether you plan to visit the United States for a finite period of time and require a Temporary Visa that will allow you to travel to the United States or you are keen to permanently shift to the United States, continue reading to discover a list of the key types of Visas that are currently available. Including valuable information on how to apply for permanent residence by submitting an application for a Green Card.


Most students who plan to study in the United States apply for an F-1 Visa, which is necessary for foreign students to study at a U.S college, high school, or approved English language school. It’s well worth noting that foreign students who apply for an F-1 Visa to attend a public high school, may only remain in the country for 12 months. However, foreign students who attend a private high school are permitted to study at their high school for longer than 12 months.

Students whose coursework is over 18 hours of study per week are also required to apply for an F-1 Visa. The only foreign students who don’t need to apply for an F-1 Visa and need to apply for an M-1 Visa are students who plan to take part in non-academic study at an approved U.S facility.

Temporary Worker

If your primary goal in obtaining a Visa is not to live in the United States on a permanent basis but to live and work in the United States for a fixed period of time, consider applying for a temporary Work Visa. If you’re interested, you’ll need to receive a fixed job offer from an employer who is based in the United States, who’ll need to fill out a petition for you with the USCIS.


It’s possible to apply for a B-1 Visa if you plan to visit the United States for business. To be issued a B-1 Visa you’ll need to prove that your upcoming visit is temporary. Furthermore, you’ll need to prove that you can afford to financially support yourself, while you’re in the United States. You may also need to prove that you have a permanent residence, outside of the United States, that you’ll be able to return to after you’ve finished conducting business in the United States. Some of the key reasons why you may apply for a B-1 Visa are to attend a business conference or to attend important business meetings or negotiations.


If you simply wish to visit the United States for a limited period of time as a tourist, you’ll need to apply for a B-2 Visa. Also keep in mind that if you need to visit the United States for medical reasons such as to undergo treatments that aren’t available in your current country of residence, you’ll also need to apply for a B-2 Visa.

Immigrant Visas

If you are interested in the possibility of permanently moving to the United States, you also have the choice of applying for a Green Card which will allow you to permanently live and work in the United States. If you have a Green Card approved, after five years you’ll be able to apply for citizenship which will give you additional rights such as the right to vote in elections.

Types Of Green Cards


Priority is given to family-sponsored Green Cards as the United States is keen to reunite closely related family members. However, you will only be eligible to apply for a family-sponsored Visa if either your spouse, parent, child, or sibling is an American Green Card holder or citizen. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to get a grandparent, aunt, uncle, or cousin to act as your Visa sponsor.

It’s important to note that the application form that you need to fill out in order to apply for residency through a close family member will differ, depending on the nature of your relationship with your sponsor. For example, if your fiance has agreed to be your sponsor you’ll need to fill out a K-1 Fiance Visa, while if your sponsor is your legal spouse, you’ll need to fill out a Marriage Visa.

Regardless of what type of family-sponsored Visa, you choose to apply for, you’ll need to submit your application to the USCIS. The easiest way to do this is online. First, set up an account with the USCIS and make sure to verify your account by clicking on the verification link which is sent to your email. Once your account is set up, you’ll be able to fill the online forms associated with your application and to pay your Green Card application fees online.

If you plan to apply for a family-sponsored Green Card, it’s in your best interest to contact an experienced attorney to ensure that all of your documentation is correct. If you fail to fill out your application correctly, the USCIS or your nearest U.S Embassy or Consulate will need to contact you to rectify these errors and there may be a delay in your journey to obtain residency in the United States.


Many businesses in the United States are willing to sponsor petitions for foreigners who they wish to employ for permanent positions within their businesses. So if you don’t have a family member who is a U.S citizen or Green Card holder, it’s well worth applying for permanent job positions in the United States online. As if you are selected for a job position, your potential new employer will be able to fill out a residency application form for you. Note that in this situation it’s your potential new employer who will submit a petition for you and that you won’t be able to submit your application to the USCIS yourself.


If you are looking to escape your home nation as you are being persecuted and fear for your life, you can also fill out an application form through the USCIS to apply for a refugee Green Card.

In Conclusion

So whether you want to enter the United States on a temporary basis or you’re intent on moving to the United States to become a permanent resident, it’s well worth using the valuable information listed above in order to select the right Visa to apply for. If you require further assistance, hire the services of an experienced immigration attorney.

Types Of Visas - Immigration Lawyer For Visa Consultation

Click here to read more

Get Help From An U.S Immigration Attorney

    How To Find Us

    Austin Office
    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1005 E 40th St
    Austin, TX 78751

    Waco Office

    Lincoln-Goldfinch Law

    1616 Austin Avenue, Suite A
    Waco, TX 76701
    By Appointment Only

    Austin & Waco

    Call or Text: (855) 502-0555
    Fax: (512) 323-9351